Director of Business Development (Boston MA) – Life Sciences – Ref.: 2895
Arris Partners has been retained to assist our client in locating a high caliber Director of Business Development.
About Our Client
Our client is a well established non-profit with several hundred employees and > $100M revenue stream that is driven by saving human lives. Due to the nature of their existing business, which includes patient advocacy, access and deep rooted experience in cellular therapies, they have established a new business unit that focuses on providing a range of specialty CRO and supply chain services. For an emerging growth business unit within a well established organization, this client has a significant pipeline focusing on companies that develop cancer immunotherapies, the hottest market in the Life Sciences sector today!
In support of growth and a unique market position, our client seeks a talented cell therapy and life science business development professional to develop and sell solutions that revolve around all phases of cell therapy and other life science development and commercialization. This role will be responsible for driving business development strategy and client engagement for this new and highly differentiated business unit. Using established solutions including sourcing of consented rare and common donor cells, research support and cell supply chain solutions, responsibilities include driving revenue growth and overall customer satisfaction across a variety of markets like academic and pharmaceutical/biotech.
The Director of Business Development must be a proactive and collaborative leader, have a bias toward action, demonstrate strong capabilities to build and leverage internal and external relationships, facilitate decisions and drive opportunities to successful conclusion. He or she will also demonstrate effective interpersonal skills necessary to influence all levels of both internal and external organizations, including executive and senior manager.
Location: Boston, MA (preferred) or other NorthEast locations proximate to client base density.
Reports to: VP of Sales
- Using consultative skills to drive engagement, work within assigned markets to develop strong relationships with key cell therapy accounts.
- Leverage our client’s value proposition to develop and sell solutions tailored to client needs.
- Prepare and implement a comprehensive business plan for assigned markets.
- Prospect for new business and lead generation to continually build a strong sales pipeline of 2.5 – 3X revenue targets.
- Account strategy development including forecasting revenue potential for each account.
- Meet objectives for revenues, profitability and account portfolio.
Education: Minimum BS Degree in biology or related scientific field with prior laboratory and business development experience. Optimally, the candidate will hold a MS or PhD in cell biology or related life science discipline. The selected candidate MUST be able scientifically comprehend fields such as stem cell biology and immuno-oncology.
- At least five (5) years of experience working with biopharmaceutical development clients, especially cellular therapy.
- Proven track record that demonstrates top sales accomplishments.
- Services sales experience (i.e. CRO, CDMO, Consulting), preferred.
Skills and Qualities:
- Demonstrated ability to understand and communicate technical clinical material clearly and effectively.
- Ability to develop critical relationships with therapy inventors and biopharmaceutical stakeholders.
- Demonstrated understanding of cellular therapeutic area, products and marketplace.
- Ability to interpret business’s goals and develop the business’s strategies and tactics to achieve them.
- Effective negotiating skills.
- Results oriented and focused to assess customer needs and market trends within the context of product and business capabilities and translate assessment into deployment strategy.
- Cross-group collaboration skills to work within a team environment.
- Sound personal judgment leveraging applications of creative solutions to solve problems effectively and efficiently.
- Strong organizational skills, work ethic and ability to prioritize.
- Able to cope and thrive with levels of ambiguity found in fast paced environments experiencing rapid growth.
- Excited by the prospect of taking risks and making decisions without complete information as well as assuming responsibility for results.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing including professional and creative presentation skills.
- Ability to integrate innovative ideas to accomplish corporate and individual objectives.
As a professional search firm, we will only be responding to those inquiries that most closely align with the stated requirements. Moreover, our client employer can only review applicants with valid US work authorization at this time.
At Arris Partners, we are committed to equal employment opportunity and undertake affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities as called for by applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders.
Pursuant to this policy, all applicants and employees shall be treated equally without regard to their protected veteran status, race, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.